UK Sport have named the twelve individuals to take part in the 2013/14 edition of the International Leadership Programme (ILP). The development programme, first established in 2006, is available for ambitious British sports administrators whose aim is to reach senior positions within international sport governing bodies.
The ILP forms part of UK Sport’s strategy to promote the UK’s sporting interests internationally. The programme aims to develop the knowledge, expertise and skills of representatives from National Governing Bodies (NGBs) in the UK and other national partners to ensure that the UK’s sporting interests and its representatives are positioned at the forefront of international sport.
The participants who were successful in securing a place on the programme are as follows (nominating organisation in brackets):
- Richard Allcroft, IWRF Board Member, (GB Wheelchair Rugby)
- Audrey Cooper, FIVB Coaching Commission member (Volleyball England),.
- Hilda Gibson, Performance Programme Manager for Archery GB & Deputy Chef de Mission of Commonwealth Games England (Archery GB)
- Sarah Gosling, ISAF Athletes Commission Member (Royal Yachting Association)
- Tim Hollingsworth, Chief Executive (British Paralympic Association),
- Charles Jackson, Vice-Chair of British Cycling and UEC delegate (British Cycling)
- Pasan Kularatne, Performance Director (Disability Target Shooting GB)
- Fran Leighton, (British Swimming)
- Emma Mason, Chair of BWF Athletes Commission & BWF Council member (Badminton Scotland),
- Annamarie Phelps, Chairman (British Rowing)
- Hilary Philbin, President of British Fencing. IWFC Executive Board member and FIE Promotion Commission member (British Fencing)
- Jenny Shute, FIS Medical Commission member (British Ski & Snowboard)
UK Sport’s Director of Major Events and International Relations, Simon Morton, said: “Now in its sixth year, I am delighted to announce once again such a high calibre and experienced set of individuals on this year’s programme and we look forward to working with them over the next twelve months. The ILP is a demonstration of UK Sport’s commitment to help develop the international sports leaders of the future, providing them with the knowledge, skills and competencies to be effective administrators within the governance of international elite sport.”
The 2013/14 programme will offer participants structured training modules covering various relevant themes including the international sports landscape, cross-cultural management, building powerful relationships, campaign management and negotiating and influencing skills combined with dedicated one-to-one opportunities with an executive coach. The course will also offer participants advice and guidance through specialist trainers, high profile guest speakers and members of the ever-growing ILP alumni network.
A number of ‘graduates’ from previous ILP editions occupy key roles in international sport including: Chris Atkins ISAF (sailing) Vice-President, Sue Catton FIH (hockey) Executive Board Member, Adam Pengilly (IOC Member) and Guin Batten FISA (rowing) Council member to name but a few.
The International Leadership Programme is part of UK Sport’s wider ambition and commitment is to work collaboratively with our NGBs and partner organisations to ensure world class leaders are driving sustainable success and leading outstanding organisations.
Find out more about the International Leadership Programme.