Benefiting as an Athlete
As an athlete there are a variety of benefits available to you as an individual or as part of a programme / team.
These benefits are designed to reduce the costs of being an athlete and to allow you to focus on the important things, such as your performance.
Here are the current additional benefits available to athletes outside of those provided by your athlete programmes and support staff:
- The Olympic Passport Scheme entitles individuals to various benefits including discounts from Panasonic to Adidas. To qualify for this, the athlete needs to have been nominated by their NGB.
- Athletes supported by WCP funding in fully-funded Olympic and Paralympic sports are covered with full medical insurance. This Athlete Medical Scheme (AMS) is administered by the British Olympic Association and you should receive details directly from them when you join a programme. In the event you need treatment/assessment or to make a claim, you must contact your team doctor in the first instance, who has the responsibility to approve and recommend any treatment/investigation.
- Helping British Talent Take Off - UK Sport has joined forces with British Airways to offer a range of 'added value’ travel benefits, including flight discounts, a dedicated booking line, excess baggage waivers, Executive Club membership and upgrades for athletes, their coaches and families.
- Pensions - The British Athletes' Commission has a flexible athlete-friendly pension scheme that its athletes can enter into if they choose. For more information on athlete pensions and discounts on car rental, visit www.britishathletes.org.
- Personal Development Awards are available to all Podium-level WCPP athletes. As part of the Performance Lifestyle Programme you will be entitled to apply for funding towards the costs of further education, career development or gaining vocational skills. To apply visit your Performance Lifestyle adviser.