The National Lottery's 18th BirthdaySubscribe
UK Sport 19 November 2012
The National Lottery has been changing lives for 18 years today (19 Nov).
Great Britain’s Olympic and Paralympic athletes have felt the impact of this, having been supported since 1997 by UK Sport, a National Lottery distributor.
As a reminder of the important role The National Lottery plays in high performance sport, here are 18 ways Olympic and Paralympic athletes and sports have benefitted from National Lottery funding through UK Sport…
1. Over 3,800 athletes have benefitted from National Lottery funding between 1997-2012.
2. 118 major sporting events hosted in the UK across 41 Olympic and Paralympic sports between 2007-2012 – with £21 million investment from The National Lottery.
3. Wheelchair racer David Weir has benefited from National Lottery funding since 2001. In that time he has won ten Paralympic medals, including four golds at London 2012.
4. Over 1,200 Olympic and Paralympic athletes are currently supported on UK Sport’s World Class Performance Programme, backed by The National Lottery.
5. £313.4 million* invested in summer sport World Class Performance Programmes between 2009-2013.
6. Lee Pearson, veteran of four Paralympic Games, and ten-time para-dressage champion, has been supported by National Lottery funding for 13 years.
7. 9 out of 10 British athletes who competed at the London 2012 Olympic and Paralympic Games had received National Lottery funding at some point in their career.
8. Five Olympic Games attended by four-time Olympic sailing champion Ben Ainslie, a National Lottery beneficiary since 1997.
9. 623 medals won at Olympic and Paralympic Games since The National Lottery funding began in 1997.
10. The National Lottery funded £27 million Gold Event Series will aim to bring over 70 of the world’s most prestigious sporting events to the UK, including 36 World and European Championships over the next six years.
11. UK Sport contributes to athletes’ living costs via a means tested Athlete Performance Award – funded 100% by The National Lottery.
12. 90% of Britain’s Olympic and Paralympic sports staged at least one major competition on home soil in the lead up to London 2012, with the support of National Lottery funding.
13. 62 gymnasts were on the British Gymnastics National Lottery backed World Class Performance Programme in the build up to London 2012.
14. Olympic cycling champions Sir Chris Hoy and Bradley Wiggins have been on the World Class Performance Programme, with support from The National Lottery for a combined total of 30 years.
15. £11.7 million* invested in winter Olympic and Paralympic sports towards Sochi 2014.
16. Olympic rowing champion Katherine Grainger has been on UK Sport’s National Lottery funded World Class Performance Programme since 1997.
17. Over the next 1355/1388 days, GB’s athletes will be preparing for the Rio 2016 Olympic and Paralympic Games – backed by National Lottery funding.
18. For the Rio Olympic and Paralympic cycle (2013-2017) UK Sport will distribute around £87 million** a year of National Lottery funding, ensuring our athletes continue to be among the best prepared in the world.
Happy Birthday National Lottery; thanks to you British sport has a lot to celebrate!
*Made up of a combination of National Lottery and Exchequer funding.
**This will be in addition to funding from the Exchequer.